Banbury-based Lochinvar has supplied three high efficiency, condensing boilers to the newly refurbished Baltic Chambers in Glasgow.
Built in 1899, this handsome red Dumfries sandstone listed building has been refitted by the property firm Dunaskin Properties Ltd to provide modern office accommodation for several local businesses.
Originally built by the Victorian developer Duncan McNaughton, it is a familiar landmark close to Glasgow Central railway station. The six-storey building retains many of its original features including its striking façade with ornate stonework and mosaic floor tiled entrance foyer.
The striking atrium that extends down to the ground floor continues to provide plenty of natural daylight too, but the addition of LED lighting has added a more modern feel. The building also now boasts a coffee shop for the use of tenants and modernised building services, including the latest in heating technology.
Three Lochinvar TTB 410 gas-fired boilers providing a total of 1.2MW of heat output were specified because of their efficiency, flexibility and ease of operation. These fully condensing, gas-fired, stainless steel, floor-standing boilers have low NOx emissions and can achieve efficiencies up to 95.5% gross CV.
Their ability to modulate during operation was of particular interest to the contractor G8 Energy Solutions of Hamilton. The three-boiler modular installation offers a 24:1 turndown allowing the system to respond precisely to changes in demand while minimising energy consumption – a particularly useful feature in a building occupied by multiple tenants with long, varied working hours.
The contractor also found that the boilers were easy to manoeuvre during installation as they are relatively lightweight and are fitted with castors for ease of handling and positioning avoiding the need for lifting equipment. In addition, they feature onboard controls, twin burners for built-in standby and a highly reliable triple chamber, stainless steel heat exchanger.
Lochinvar’s TTB boilers are suitable for a wide variety of commercial and industrial heating applications and come in outputs ranging from 418 to 576 kW.
According to the Baltic Chambers’ website, when the building was first opened in 1899 it featured engineering that was clearly cutting edge for the late Victorian era including “a complete system of electric lighting, besides gas-piping for fires, etc. where required”.
Today, the building retains much of its original character and charm, while the significantly upgraded heating and other modern amenities provide comfortable and productive conditions for its occupants.