In today’s energy conscious environment, more and more owners of commercial buildings, property managers and building maintenance staff are seeking to increase savings of their buildings’ energy costs.
To meet today’s stringent requirements, heating control systems must be capable of increasing internal comfort conditions while effecting real fuel cost savings. Ideally, they should also be very straightforward and secure to use, with a wide range of energy-optimising features. One way of achieving this is by installing an energy efficient management control system. Richard Ferguson, Marketing and Communications Executive at Nortek explains the benefits of having such a system in place.
Few computerised systems offer the same breadth of functionality and benefits as SmartCom which is an intelligent energy management controller which is able to satisfy the growing need for higher efficiencies and to complement the development of efficient heating systems.
Compatible with radiant tube, warm air and many other types of heating system, SmartCom incorporates self-adapting optimised start-up to ensure increased comfort and cost savings. SmartCom enables the heating to be networked across multiple zones, with the advantage that varying work patterns and operational temperatures within the same building can be taken into account – adding to the system’s energy saving capability.
Installation is quick and straightforward. A wall mounting template is designed to make things as easy as possible for installers. Users will find the system simple to operate since programming is carried out following intuitive on-screen instructions, without the need for a manual. It also provides cost-effective energy management for small single heater installations through to large multi-zone applications requiring centralised control.
SmartCom has been designed to offer exceptional functionality, including:
- Multiple control options – eg. ventilation-only operation, 7-day programming, 3 on-off periods per day, holiday and overtime mode.
- Password-protected operation to prevent units being tampered with.
- Compatibility with building management systems – units have an override facility that allows the BMS to control any number of SmartCom units.
There are a number of standard features, common to all models, that will enhance the operation of both heating system and safety back-up:
- Compact IP30 enclosure complete with cable entry knock-outs
- Built-in room temperature sensor
- 7-day battery back-up
- Flame failure lock-out
- Optimum start-up
- Easy overtime and holiday period set-up
- Integral temperature sensor in every SmartCom control unit – although optional remote sensors, including radiant black bulb, warm air and duct sensors, are also available.
An intelligent energy management controller is designed to satisfy the market’s need for higher efficiency heating and heating control systems, and to complement the development of high performance gas-fired heating systems, whether radiant or warm air.